|Does your TBR pile look like this?|
A while ago, I posted about Struggling to finish that book that you’ve been trying to read since forever, well this time I’m going to talk about that dreaded To Be Read (TBR) pile!
If you’re anything like me, you have a list that is too long to count. Why are these TBR piles so high?
1) A true book lover will see a book in a book store and for whatever reasons it’s calling them to purchase and read it. However, by the time they finish at the bookstore about a million (exaggeration but you get the idea) other books have said the same thing. A true book lover will also buy one or two of these (maybe more depending on budget) and take them home with every intention of reading them and then….
2) Your favorite author releases a new book…well all current books in the TBR pile gets shoved to the bottom while this one is voraciously consumed.
3) I’ve noticed a bit of a trend that some of my favourite authors books end up being released roughly about the same time every year. This then creates a book binging type senario where nothing but these author’s book are read and for a while the TBR pile doesn’t even exist!
4) Then, I find that if I read a particular genre (like inspirational suspense) I find it very, very hard to start another book in a different genre and once again the book/s don’t get read.
5) Finally, it’s been so long since I intended to read said book/s on TBR list that I’ve forgotten why I want to read them…
and so the vicious cycle continues!
Recently I gave away a section of my TBR pile, as I looked over it and asked myself honestly:
“Jessica, are you EVER going to read these books?”
The practical, quiet but sure answer was no. The reader is me was screaming…YES! One day! Well it’s been two years and that one day still hasn’t come..so bye, bye books.
My current TBR pile is still high, but I feel like the books there I will actually read. To that end, I got so sick of seeing the pile grow, or get less from giving away that I was determined to move books from the list by actually…shocker…reading them! Two books have been moved and I’m going to start another very soon. I feel productive, happy and less guilty!
What about your TBR pile? How high is it? Do you experience any of the above problems? I’d love to hear from you!
She is currently writing her first novel, a contemporary women’s fiction/romance set in a small country town.
Jess is a mum of two children and married to the calmest man alive. She loves to bake and go for walks. A writer of contemporary romance, Jess write stories about the heart and where love is worth the journey.